Making profitable management decisions after the dry (Grains industry)
This is part three of the webinar series – Making profitable management decisions after the dry. This webinar recording aims at providing grain growers a ‘first look’ at some at some of the key management strategies and actions to consider when planning for recovery.
The aim of any post-drought cropping program is to restore cash flow as soon as possible. To respond in a timely manner when the rain does fall and put yourself in the best position to establish and grow a harvestable crop, some pre-planning is critical. There are a number of management decisions that need to be made at the right stage of recovery to ensure you are able to capture rainfall when it falls and maximise profit after drought.
By watching the full recording you will hear from two very experienced presenters Rod Collins (Senior Development Extension Officer, DAF) and James Hagan (Economist, DAF) when they discuss:
1. Fallow management:
• Importance of ground cover, soil surface conditions and fallow weed management on rainfall capture and storage.
• Fallow efficiency – cereals vs pulses, short fallow vs long fallow. Overview of data from the northern farming systems project.
• Cover cropping – is it worthwhile?
2. Crop management:
- How to maximise yield after drought – what are the key agronomic considerations?
3. Planning for the next dry:
- Economics of drought recovery – experience from other droughts
Download a copy of the presentation
- Making profitable management decisions after the dry – Financial management (FutureBeef)
- Making profitable management decisions after the dry – Beef herd management (FutureBeef)
- Recovering from drought (FutureBeef)
- Australian CliMate
- Key fallow and crop management considerations for grain growers during drought recovery
- Key considerations
- Fallow management
- Fallow management – stubble is king!
- Low cover means slow soil moisture storage and increased runoff and erosion
- Ground cover = infiltration
- How much cover do I need?
- Soils differ…
- What about weeds?
- Assessing stored soil moisture
- Stubble/cover (30% +)
- GRDC farming systems trial results (fallow management)
- Soil water trial data
- Cover crop fallow efficiency
- What are the economics?
- Cover crop vs existing stubble
- Australian CliMate app
- Take home messages (1)
- Maximising crop yield
- Crop selection
- Before you plant…
- Past drought experience
- Business financials (2001-2008)
- 6 years of farm production data collected
- Economic factors
- Existing resources
- Take home messages (2)