P is for profit and for phosphorus – and that’s not all the 2 have in common!
Phosphorus (P) deficiency can have a major impact on animal health, fertility and performance, frequently resulting in lost profit on beef enterprises in Northern Australia.
In this webinar recording, Tim Schatz (Principal Livestock Research Officer, Northern Territory Department of Primary Industries and Resources) takes an in-depth look at the phosphorus research undertaken (to date) and the learnings you can consider in your business.
During the presentation, Tim discusses the following topics:
- what we learnt from the Kidman Springs (Northern Territory) P study
- future P research relating to the practical and economic feeding of it.
Download a copy of the presentation – Kidman P trial 2020 (PDF, 1.74 MB).
- phosphorus supplementation of cattle in northern Australia (FutureBeef)
- improving beef business performance with phosphorus supplementation (FutureBeef)
- new phosphorus nutrition tools available online (FutureBeef).
- Kidman Springs phosphorus supplementation project
- About Kidman Springs
- Method of research
- Supplement content and growth of treatments
- 1st calf drop – differences in 1st lactation heifers
- 2nd calf drop – Cows 4.5 y.o
- 3rd calf drop – Cows 5.5 y.o
- Mortality rate
- Summary of results
- Assessment of profit
- Developing an ‘easy P’ supplementation strategy