Giant Rat’s Tail Grass Management and Herbicides
Giant rat’s tail grass (Sporobolus natalensis and S. pyramidalis) is part of the group of weedy Sporobolus grasses that also includes American rat’s tail grass (S. jacquemontii), Giant Parramatta grass (S. fertilis) and Parramatta grass (S. africanus). They are exotic (non-native) to Australia and characterised by their robust, tufted, well-rooted perennial tussocks, with tougher leaf blades than most other grasses.
Weedy Sporobolus grasses aggressively colonise disturbed areas and overgrazed or weakened pastures. They can dramatically reduce pasture productivity, out-compete desirable pasture grasses and cause significant degradation of natural areas. Management of giant rat’s tail grass and other weedy Sporobolus grasses requires an integrated approach involving prevention and control activities and the incorporation of pasture, land and livestock management considerations.
These giant rat’s tail (GRT) videos were produced through a collaboration by Gladstone Regional Council and Department of Agriculture and Fisheries as a result of many questions raised at a GRT field day in March 2021. Both are good information sources in answering some of the common questions around GRT management.
Watch the full videos below – GRT Seed Spread Management (10:22 min) and GRT Herbicides (19:21 min).
GRT Seed Spread Management
- GRT Seed Spread Management
- Why is GRT grass hard to manage?
- How to minimise the risk of GRT grass establishment
- How long does it take for GRT grass seed to pass through cattle and does it remain viable?
- How do you minimise GRT grass seed spread?
- Can fire be used as a management tool for GRT grass?
- GRT Herbicides
- Two registered herbicides
- How does Flupropanate work?
- Should I use liquid or granular Flupropanate?
- What is the recommended spray rate of Flupropanate and is a surfactant required?
- Best time of year to apply Flupropanate and how much rain is needed to activate it?
- What is the time between spraying Flupropanate and sowing new pasture?
- What is the withholding period for Flupropanate?
- What is the effect of fire on Flupropanate?
- How does Glyphosate work?
- Can I use a Glyphosate and Flupropanate mix?
- Can Glyphosate or Flupropanate kill GRT grass seed?
- GRT grass management is not a ‘one size fits all’.