Keep up-to-date with the latest beef cattle and rangelands research for northern Australia with the monthly FutureBeef eBulletin. These industry and regionally specific newsletters, written and prepared by leading beef extension officers, scientists and industry specialists, are a great resource for your business.
The FutureBeef eBulletin is a free electronic subscription service. Monthly updates feature the latest in research and development, news and views, and workshops and industry events across northern Australia.
- December 2023: Updates from the NT Livestock Industries team, the WA Southern Rangelands modelling project, new GRASS program funding opportunities, the Method to Market project, phosphorus supplementation, new reports of pasture dieback, and more!
- November 2023: Outcomes and findings from 7 years of pasture dieback research, new book about improving cow fertility and reducing mortalities, forward planning is key when drought planning, objective culling strategies, KPCA Livestock handling cup winners, information to help recover from bushfires, and more!
- October 2023: Calculating your green date, making the most of free data, keeping sight of key profit drivers and bull selection with John Bertram, MyForage, lifting productivity with leucaena, carbon case study: how Consolidated Pastoral Company is generating Australian Carbon Credit Units using the Beef Cattle Herd Methodology, fodder research yields big returns for small scale irrigation in northern WA, new weed app road testers wanted, and then some!
- September 2023: Strategies to reduce tick burdens with Dr Lee Taylor thanks to ParaBoss, the double whammy effect of dry season nutrition, rotational grazing gains on wet season Gamba grass growth in the NT, tackling staff retention through upskilling in WA, matching stocking rates to available forage and more!
- August 2023: Answering your question: does watered area impact calf loss? Northern grassfed carcass competition results, MLA’s updated phosphorus manual, Optiweighs deployed in northern WA, bottle teats at calving resolve a few weeks later (photo comparison), the perks of pregnancy testing with Jacqui Tickell, observations from the medicated water supplementation trial, and introducing, My Climate View.
- July 2023: Improved perceptions of live export, introducing Paddock Power: a new tool for infrastructure development appraisal, WA Shoo flies trial – did fly tags make a difference? the results are in!, helping your stock to thrive during the dry season, the importance of testing bull fertility, new NT project, as well as a few more terrific articles!
- June 2023: The impact of artificial shade on calf survival on the Barkly, frequently asked questions about dung sampling, free phosphorus deficiency testing for northern WA producers, pasture dieback field day recap, forage budgeting, supplementing with molasses, Clermont Cattlemen’s Challenge, Northern Beef Expo update, plus other great stories.
- May 2023: Gully remediation with Bob Shepherd, a recap of the Douglas Daly Research Farm field day (including growing cotton, establishing leucaena, grazing gamba, weight gains with fly tags, rotational grazing potential and selecting for fertility), preparing for the Northern Grassfed Carcass Competition, key messages from Breeding EDGE Kununurra, and then some!
- April 2023: Applications are being accepted for Producer Demonstration Sites, new online hub for grazing land management information, Easy P trial update, upcoming soil carbon webinar will shine the light on soil carbon realities, capturing the impact fly tags on reducing disease transmission in Western Australia, pasture dieback field day recaps and so much more.
- March 2023: Crossbred heifers outperform Brahmans in NT trial, using terciles to understand pasture and climate data, Advancing Beef Leaders applications are open, pasture dieback management podcast episode, volunteer panel members needed for new methane reducing biotech trial, coordinated fuel reduction strategies reduce occurrence of hot fires in WA, and so much more.
- February 2023: National beef herd predicted to reach record levels in 2023, strategies to boost fertility, rangeland management education for ringers, the information you need to start a carbon emissions account, NT DITT update and an enticing job opportunity in Western Australia.
- January 2023: Bottle teats immediately after birth leading cause of calf loss in NT herds, remote water monitoring system purchasing cheat sheet, ExoFlare People — Biosecurity risk assessment made easy, riparian fencing funding through the GRASS program case study, leucaena PDS project comes to an end.
- December 2022: How to make an informed decision in changing conditions, developing biotechnology to reduce methane emissions, demystifying carbon projects webinar recording, new sustainability platform pilot, sterile leucaena variety trial success and more.
- November 2022: Phosphorus supplementation provided $7.66 return on investment, the tips and tricks to wet season spelling, twilight forums a hit in northern WA, legume establishment case study from Theodore, pimelea information day recordings, new Indicative soil phosphorus report available from FORAGE, Australian Feedbase Monitor, innovation grants available in the Kimberley and Pilbara, and even more.
- October 2022: Signs of overgrazing with Dr Dionne Walsh, legume spread and persistence case study from Dulacca, a cattleman’s view of grazing land management (Central Australia), updated resources for south east Queensland, new vaccination guide for northern Australia, potential trade implications of a foot-and-mouth disease or lumpy skin disease outbreak, and much more.
- September 2022: Stylos to boost beef production, customising a lick recipe to ensure adequate intakes, Akaushi bulls in Central Australia, Kidman Springs BeefUp forum wrap up, beefing up farm biosecurity, emissions from grazing systems
- August 2022: Burning – a cheap pasture management option, assuming bull buying responsibility, wild dog exclusion fence saves northern hairy-nosed wombat, what a beef extension officer does, mapping reminders e-book, mulga country recovery, leucaena leaf testing, Matt Richardson is Runner Up Queensland Rural Ambassador and emergency animal disease update.
- July 2022: Foetal ageing for future flexibility, new Long Paddock poster maps, when to start supplementation this dry season, emergency livestock disease eHub, understanding the figures in bull sale catalogues, a case study featuring a grazier’s experience using drones, self herding techniques help keep cattle at new waters in Central Australia, Pilbara twilight forum and a brand new publication: Stylos in Queensland.
- June 2022: Pregnancy testing for forward planning, a faecal seeding legumes case study, bull breeding soundness evaluations, the realities of foot and mouth disease, being bushfire ready, the beef industry trifecta, pasture dieback app, NT ringers learn how their pay is grown, and new members of the Advancing Beef Leaders alumni.
- May 2022: Getting the best out of your weaners, live export price indicator, pain relief strategies, bushfire preparation for Central Australia, pasture dieback trials, new members of the Western Australia Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development, forage budgeting, and much more.
- March 2022: Using decision dates to make management plans, no eggs in poddy calf milk, farm business essentials webinar recordings, options to reduce emissions and restore carbon in the NT, legumes, pasture dieback update.
- February 2022: Vaccination best practice, rail transport and MSA grading, pain relief case study, new faces in NT Department of Industry, Tourism and Trade, GRASS program, disaster assistance for the Wide Bay-Burnett and drought longevity maps.
Looking for an older edition of the FutureBeef eBulletin? Check out our archived eBulletins.