Breeding values: your tool for looking under the hood of your next sire
There’s no doubt that when you’re buying a bull, his physical and structural soundness must be factored in. But what you can’t see is just as important.
Using breeding values allow you to see ‘under the hood’ of an animal. You can see his weak points and his strengths to decide if he’s the right fit for your herd.
In this presentation, MLA’s Clara Bradford talks through breeding values and how you can use them to accelerate the performance of your herd. Clara is joined by Queensland beef producer, Kara Knudsen, who shares how she has used breeding values to more than double the fertility in her herd.
Download a copy of the presentation: Breeding values: your tool for looking under the hood of your next sire (PDF, 2.0MB)
- Breeding values: your tool for looking under the hood of your next sire
- Section 1: Why breeding values matter
- What influences an animal’s performance?
- Looking under the hood
- Section 1 summary
- Section 2: How breeding values help with buying bulls
- Estimated breeding values
- Available traits
- Compare two bulls (an example)
- Designing a breeding objective
- Linking your business to genetics
- Section 2 summary
- Section 3: Kara Knudsen – a producer’s perspective
- Section 4: Next steps
- The genetics one-stop-shop
- Short courses and other resources
- Section 5: Sneak peek – to the next webinar
- Selecting a high-performing sire
- Section summary
- Conclusion – take home messages