The prevalence of calf loss across northern Australia
In this Calf Alive symposium presentation, Dr Kieren McCosker, Beef Production Scientist, Northern Territory Department of Primary Industry and Resources, presents recent research findings from the CashCow project to describe the prevalence of calf loss in northern Australia. This data, collected from 2008–2011, represents 70,000 cows across northern Australia, and provides a thought-provoking insight into the northern beef breeder herd.
You can watch the full recording or use the playlist below to jump to the start of a particular section within the presentation.
Full video (12:15 minutes)
- Summary: CashCow Project (00.30 minutes)
- Measuring foetal and calf loss (3:07 minutes)
- Reporting foetal and calf loss (5:06 minutes)
- First lactation cows (6:34 minutes)
- Second lactation cows (7:55 minutes)
- Mature and aged cows (9:13 minutes)
- Key messages (12:15 minutes)
Back to the Calf Alive symposium presentations home page.