How to shop for a high-performing bull
Shopping for a high-performing bull starts well before sale day.
In this presentation Meat & Livestock Australia’s Clara Bradford and Tropical Beef Technology Services’ Tim Emery provide tips and tools for before, during and after the bull sale when selecting a high-performing addition to your herd.
Also included in this recording is a demonstration of using BREEDPLAN to shortlist a group of bulls.
Download a copy of the presentation – How to shop for a high-performing bull (PDF, 2.65 MB).
Additional beef genetic resources:
- MLA’s genetics hub – your one-stop-shop for genetic resources.
- Breeding values: looking under the hood of your next sire – FutureBeef webinar recording.
- How to shop for a high-performing bull – video for tropical cattle producers.
- How to shop for a high-performing bull – video for temperate cattle producers.
- Tropical Beef Technology Services – website.
- Where does this animal rank? Introducing the EBV percentile graph – TBTS/SBTS factsheet.
- How to shop for a high-performing bull.
- Looking under the hood (Breeding Values) and session agenda.
- Setting the scene – a fictitious breeding operation.
- Before the sale – what are the steps?
- Step 1 – Identify your breeding objectives.
- Step 2 – Identify the relevant selection indexes.
- Step 3 – Identify the relevant Estimated Breeding Values (EBV).
- Step 4 – Find sires that match your Selection Indexes and EBV’s using BREEDPLAN.
- BREEDPLAN demonstration – How to search for your potential sires.
- Step 5 – Contact the stud.
- Step 6 – Develop a top and second tier list of sires.
- Step 7 – Decide your budget.
- On sale day – what are the steps?
- Step 1 – Visually appraise your shortlisted sires.
- Step 2 – Make a plan on the order in which you make your bids.
- Step 3 – Only bid on the sires on your shortlist that tick the boxes (for desirable traits).
- After the sale – what are the steps?
- Step 1 – Practice sound biosecurity.
- Step 2 – Document appropriate records.
- Step 3 – Help your bull to settle in.
- Step 4 – Confirm your bull is in working order.
- Step 5 – Ongoing annual animal health treatments.
- Summary – How to shop for a high-performing bull.
- MLA’s new genetics hub.
- More information (Tim Emery’s details – Tropical Beef Technology Services).