Resilience strategies for small landholders Part 2: Managing climate variability and the maintenance feed requirements for horses, sheep and goats
This series of recorded webinars is focused on supporting small landholders during times of drought and the subsequent recovery processes. This is part 2 of a 5-part webinar series.
In this presentation, Damien O’Sullivan (Department of Agriculture and Fisheries, Kingaroy) discusses:
- Climate variability in Australia
- Current climate outlook
- On-line tools available to help understand climate variability
- How these tools can be used to help manage climate variability.
During the presentation, Damien also discusses the maintenance feed requirements for horses, sheep and goats.
- Managing climate variability and feeding horses/sheep/goats
- Topics to cover
- Rainfall percentile (Australia)
- Rainfall percentile (Queensland)
- Queensland drought situation (as at 1/3/20)
- What’s driving our weather?
- Climate drivers
- Outlooks – rainfall
- Outlooks – temperature
- Where to get climate information
- Current climate research – Drought and Climate Adaptation Program (DCAP)
- Feeding horses, sheep and goats
- Horses – when to feed?
- Horses – estimating weight
- Horses – feed quality
- Horses – how much for maintenance?
- Horses – what’s the cost?
- Horses – other factors to consider
- Sheep and Goats – when to feed?
- Sheep and Goats – know the weight
- Feeding Sheep and Goats
- Sheep and Goats – what’s the cost?
- Cottonseed and pellets
- Sheep and Goats – other factors to consider
- Water supplies
- Management after rain
- Summary and take home messages
- More information
Download a copy of the presentation – Climate and Feeding Horses, Sheep and Goats May 2020 (PDF, 1.42 MB)
Other parts of the Resilience strategies for small landholders webinar series
A new website has been developed to support small landholders: Animals in drought →
The Long Paddock website →
Comprehensive climate forecast information (MetEye) →
Forecast information 10 day climate forecast information (Wxmaps) →
Information on drought →
Information on critical questions for drought decisions →
Information on drought feeding (MLA) →
Information on supplementary feeding stock (MLA) →