Assessing options for drought response — 3. Mortality risk and early weaning
This is the third of seven recorded presentations, demonstrating how to assess management options in response to drought.
In this presentation, Fred Chudleigh (Agricultural Economist, Department of Agriculture and Fisheries) discusses the assessing mortality risk and considering early weaning in response to drought. You can watch the full recording (21 minutes) or use the playlist below to jump to the start of a particular section within the presentation.
- Mortality risk and early weaning
- Respond to drought
- Why is mortality risk so important?
- Body condition scores
- Modelling body condition and rates of mortality
- Who is at risk when weight is being lost?
- Mortality risk is often episodic, related to drought
- Early weaning
- Early weaning (continued)
- Where to next?
This recording has been compiled within the Improving profitability and resilience of beef and sheep businesses in Queensland—Preparing for, responding to and recovering from drought project.