- This event has passed.
Advanced livestock movement and working dog school — Mundubbera
Saturday 26 September 2020 @ 7:30 am - Monday 28 September 2020 @ 5:00 pm
|Start:||Saturday 26 September 2020 @ 7:30 am|
|End:||Monday 28 September 2020 @ 5:00 pm||Event category:||Past event|
410 Riverleigh School Bus Road+ Google Map
Mundubbera, Queensland 4626 Australia
Advanced livestock movement and management course and working dog school with Neil McDonald
Gain the necessary knowledge to become proactive regarding soil health & pasture management while working in a safe and efficient manner with the help of working dogs.
This course provides skills in:
- Understand the link between improved handling and change of livestock behaviour patterns. This is necessary to introduce new livestock management regimes such as rotational grazing that will improve land condition.
- Learn how to avoid land condition problems such erosion, created by livestock which are spoilt or unsettled hanging on waters & wasting feed through incessant walking or undoing management programs by not staying in their allocated paddock.
- Yard design, mob structure and how to work livestock and dogs in a way that uses the natural order of the mob.
- Implementing a wider weaner trainer program by applying methods demonstrated during the course
- Improved economic, welfare, and occupational health and safety outcomes using demonstrated techniques.
Benefits of improved livestock management include:
- less feed flattened resulting in improved utilisation
- higher weight gains
- less bulls required
- improved occupation health and safety
- better time efficiency
- good staff morale
- more grazing options as cattle can be easily managed in a wide range of situations.
Participants should bring their own tucker, swag, water bottle, hat and chair.
Participants can bring their own dogs, chains, lead ropes and water bowl.
If you don’t have dogs, Neil has dogs available to use at the course.
Cost will depend on the number of participants but is likely to be approximately $880-970 per person for the three day school.
For more information and to reserve your place in the school, contact Kathleen McCarthy on 0458 787 523.
Download the event flyer: Advanced Livestock Handling Mundubbera (PDF, 500 KB)
This workshop is supported by the Burnett Mary Regional Group, through funding from the Australian Government’s National Landcare Program.