- This event has passed.
Leucaena Profitable Grazing Systems Field Day – Douglas Daly (NT)
Thursday 10 October 2019 @ 10:00 am - Friday 11 October 2019 @ 11:00 am
|Start:||Thursday 10 October 2019 @ 10:00 am|
|End:||Friday 11 October 2019 @ 11:00 am||Event category:||Animal production, Land and pastures, People and business|
Douglas Daly Research Farm
Jungawa Road+ Google Map
Douglas-Daly, NT 0822 Australia
Take part in the first of a series of workshops and site walks with The Leucaena Network and Profitable Grazing Systems.
Improve your grazing systems with the new psyllid-tolerant strain of leucaena, Redlands. Topics will cover the economic advantages of incorporating Redlands leucaena as a forage crop, where it will grow, techniques to ensure a good planting outcome and how to manage it while minimising its weedy potential.
- Learn how to use natural resources maps. Hear about improved pastures, what will grow in your region and talk to Northern Territory seed suppliers. Get the basics about ecosystem processes, understanding pasture growth and how to work out grazing loads. Discover the key differences in managing grazing on introduced or mixed pastures vs native pasture systems.
- Visit Department of Primary Industry and Resources research farm leucaena demonstration sites and also local producers’ demonstration sites.
- View slashing/mulching and other relevant equipment and talk to local contractors and machinery suppliers.
- Learn about legume agronomy, ’checking out your nods‘, how to assess if nitrogen fixation is occurring in your paddocks and the basics of soil health.
- See how to use drone imaging and other technology for pasture assessment. Drones allow advanced information-gathering for automation, analysis and visualisation. Understand how remote satellite sensing and imaging of your farm or region, analysed in real time, can give you valuable data on crop quality, crop volumes, and land management.
The Leucaena Profitable Grazing Systems Field Day will be held at the Douglas Daly Research Farm, starting at 10.00 AM on Thursday, 10 October, concluding at 1.00 PM on Friday, 11 October.
- Free admission for beef producers from the Northern Territory, however places are limited.
- $75 for industry representatives.
For more information or to reserve your seat, contact: Rebecca Mohr-Bell at email@example.com.
Download the event flyer: The Leucaena Profitable Grazing Systems Field Day flyer (PDF, 200 KB)