Grazing fundamentals EDGE
Principles underpinning timely management decisions.
Grazing Fundamentals EDGE is a one-day workshop designed to give you a broad understanding of the components of the grazing production systems and the core, scientifically-backed principles behind optimising grazing land productivity.
Attending this workshop will help you to:
- understand what conditions drive pasture growth and how you can use strategic grazing management to improve pasture productivity
- evaluate the productive potential of a property and identify opportunities for improvement
- better align herd management with seasonal changes in pasture condition
- understand key considerations when designing paddock and property layout
What you will learn:
- environmental regulators of pasture growth and quality
- local seasonal pasture growth patterns
- local seasonal calendar and key decision dates
- how soil properties influence pasture growth
- how grazing affects pasture plants, their productivity and growth
- how to assess land condition and how this impacts on carrying capacity
- know when and how to use pasture spelling
- principles behind successful grazing systems
- how to account for different classes of animals when assessing grazing pressure
- what’s involved with forage budgeting and calculating carrying capacity.
The workshop is a one-day workshop and uses an interactive style, building on the participant’s knowledge. Workshop notes are provided. The price includes morning tea, afternoon tea and lunch.
Who leads the workshop?
- Workshop leaders have practical experience in grazing land management
- Our team understands the practical application of grazing land management strategies at property level and has ongoing involvement with research and development
- In addition to their technical expertise, they have high level facilitation and communication skills to deliver an informative and value-packed three day course
Previous attendees have said…
“Huge depth of knowledge, locally relevant and practical.”
“Great foundation to the EDGE training; gives relevant and practical base knowledge.”
“Presented in a way that was easy to follow and understand.”
$750 plus GST for one person from a business
$500 plus GST each for two or more people from the same business
Grazing land management EDGE
The Grazing land management (GLM) EDGE workshop will give you a practical and planned approach to improve the productivity and sustainability of your country. Held over three days, the GLM EDGE workshop will give you information and tools specific to the land types, climate and production systems in your region, such as:
- long-term stocking rate calculations
- forage budgeting
- land condition assessment
- sown pastures
The informal structure of the workshop encourages discussion and debate as well as opportunities to share land-management experiences.
$1,750 plus GST for one person from a business
$1,450 plus GST each for two or more people from same business
Stocktake: balancing supply and demand
This one-day practical training workshop steps you through the concepts of land condition and monitoring. It demonstrates field assessment techniques using a database. Stocktake is a monitoring package that ´takes stock´ of your grazing resources and identifies points to improve management decisions. At the end of the day you will be able to:
- conduct paddock-scale assessment of land condition and pasture yields
- manage and interpret data for business planning
- quantify the potential for improvement in productivity
- complete forage budgets – determine how long feed is going to last with the present number of cattle in the paddock
$300 plus GST per person, the second person from the same business is free.