Improving productivity and profitability in grazing – Technology Showcase – Part 2 (E-Beef online series #4)
With current restrictions on face-to-face gatherings due to COVID-19, the E-Beef Project has moved online to maintain momentum and engagement during these unprecedented times (as well as for your safety and wellbeing.
The E-Beef online series involves four sessions over four weeks in June (2020), providing landholders, extension staff and industry stakeholders with key insights on new and emerging technologies relevant to the grazing industry.
This is the fourth webinar in a four-part E-Beef series that focuses on improving productivity and profitability in grazing.
It is also the second session that showcases new and emerging technologies in the grazing industry that are being trialled as part of the E-Beef Project.
- Virtual fencing technology solutions for producers.
- New generation ear tags for capturing greater insights.
- Improved grazing productivity using pregnancy-testing technologies.
During this session, you will hear from three companies at the forefront of grazing technology:
- Tammie Robinson (Agersens) when she explores the automated movement of cattle using eShepherd.
- Lewis Frost (Chief Operating Officer – Ceres Tag) when he discusses a new satellite smart ear tag that improves provenance and animal welfare.
- Colin Hammond (Managing Director – Catagra Group) when he details new pregnancy-testing technologies that provide more information to producers, and improved welfare for livestock.
You can watch the full recordings or use the playlists below to jump to the start of a particular section within the presentations:
- Virtual Fencing: Automated Farming (Tammie Robinson). 11:31; published 6 July 2020 by FuturebeefAu.
- Direct to Satellite Livestock Information Platform and Smart Ear Tag (Lewis Frost). 14:33; published 2 July 2020 by FuturebeefAu.
- Early Pregnancy Test – The Key to Profitability (Colin Hammond). 11:22; published 3 July 2020 by FuturebeefAu.
- Virtual Fencing: Automated Farming (Tammie Robinson).
- Direct to Satellite Livestock Information Platform and Smart Ear Tag (Lewis Frost).
- Early Pregnancy Test – The Key to Profitability (Colin Hammond).
Download a copy of the presentations
- Virtual Fencing – Automated Farming (Tammie Robinson; PDF, 3.93 MB)
- Ceres – Smart Ear tag (Lewis Frost; PDF, 1.34 MB)
- Early Pregnancy Testing (Colin Hammond; PDF, 4.35 MB)
- Webinar #1: Improving productivity and profitability in grazing – Technology Driven Decisions
- Webinar #2: Improving productivity and profitability in grazing – Managing for Profitability
- Webinar #3: Improving productivity and profitability in grazing – Technology Showcase #1
- Virtual Fencing: Automated Farming
- Agersens – a background
- The eShepherd product
- How does the eShepherd neckband work?
- How does eShepherd work on-farm?
- Break feeding video
- Break feed grazing – heat map
- Virtual fence interaction and paddock utilisation
- Animals utilise the whole paddock
- Cow and calf trial (New Zealand) – the results
- Queensland rangelands trial
- Hillalong mob move
- Key points and conclusion
- Direct to Satellite Livestock Information Platform and Smart Ear Tags
- The Challenge…
- The Big Idea…
- The Ceres Tag and applicator
- How does it work?
- All terrestrial animals – one tag, one life
- What are we doing currently?
- Video – The Ceres Tag
- Contact and conclusion
- Early Pregnancy testing – the key to profitability
- The main objectives
- Early identification of non-performers
- Early identification of infertility
- Challenges in northern beef herds
- What are the financial benefits?
- Calving performance
- Benefits of ReproScan Vs Manual Palpation
- Video #1 – processing cattle with ReproScan
- The drivers of ultrasound
- Video #2 – Pregnancy testing in a dairy herd
- The development of ultrasound
- Convex probe – the game changer
- ReproScan – the benefits
- On-property training courses
- ReproScan around the world
- Summary and contact